Internal Revenue Service Information Technology Specialist (Operating Systems) in Fresno, California
The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow**.
WHAT DOES AN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPECIALIST (OPERATING SYSTEMS) DO?* As an Information Technology Specialist (Operating Systems) you will define and develop projects, and acquire the resources to complete them. In this position, you will develop guidelines that will be used by other specialists; lead major national level projects such as the application and adaptation of new and improved approaches to the planning, installation, configuration, testing, implementation, and management of the systems environment; and the diagnosis and resolution of the most complex operating systems problems and issues. These projects have an impact on broad agency goals; they deal with multi-year plans, new cutting-edge technologies or issues, and develop new policies or make significant changes to existing policies that have IRS-wide impact. * **WHAT IS THE IRS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION?The mission of the IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
25 selections will be made throughout the IT Organization, and will be filled in any of the following POD's: Lanham-Seabrook, MD; Kearneysville, WV; Memphis, TN; Detroit, MI; Austin, TX; Ogden, UT; Farmers Branch, TX; Chamblee, GA; Washington, DC; Fresno, CA; Philadelphia, PA; Holtsville, NY; Kansas City, MO; Atlanta, GA; Covington, KY; and Charlotte, NC.
Learn more about this agency
As an Operating Systems Information Technology Specialist you will:
- Develop policies, procedures, and strategies that ensure optimization and integration in the installation, configuration, and maintenance of the operating environment.
- Provide authoritative advice, as part of IRS-wide mission, to other specialists in areas such as disaster recovery, capacity planning, applications development, hardware strategy, and operating systems security.
- Lead a major IRS-wide operating systems project, e.g., installation of new operating environments or implementation of new operating systems patches, upgrades, and releases.
- Consult with developers or vendors in defining requirements and identifying integration issues; oversee installation, customization, testing, and implementation of the operating environment.
- Work with vendor software engineers to correct problems and enhance performance.
- Evaluate the impact of new and proposed applications on the IRS-wide operating environment; and recommend changes to ensure the functionality and stability of the operating environment. WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - Travel May Be Required 1-5 days/nights per month.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
US Citizens and Nationals; no prior Federal experience is required.
Please refer to that announcement for details on open period, eligibility, and how to apply.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
Information Technology Specialist (It Specialist)
Conditions of Employment
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
GS-13 LEVEL: You must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. This experience must include Information Technology (IT) related experience that demonstrates each of the following four competencies: 1) Attention to Detail, 2) Customer Service, 3) Oral Communication and 4) Problem Solving. Specialized experience for this position includes: Demonstrated accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques pertinent to the position to be filled. This knowledge is generally demonstrated through assignments that required the ability to analyze a number of alternative approaches in the process of advising management concerning major aspects of IT system design. This would include defining what system interrelationships must be considered, or what operating mode, system software, and/or equipment configuration is most appropriate for a given project.
*In addition to the above,*you must meet the requirements described below:
At this level, you must have experience: Planning and coordinating change activities with applications developers, telecommunications specialist, facilities managers, vendors and customers; manage implementation and deployment and keep senior management informed of project progress through periodic briefings and reports.
The experiencemayhave been gained in the public sector,private sector or VolunteerService.One year of experience refers to full-timework; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume.
Conditions of Employment:
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- We offer opportunities for telework.
- TOD Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm
- We offer opportunities for flexible work schedules.
- 1-year probationary period is required.
- Must successfully complete a background investigation including an FBI criminal history record check (fingerprint check).
- Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment, at the time requested by the agency.
- If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so.
- Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
- Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
- Undergo an income tax verification.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination. Rating*: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Technical Competence, Technology Application, Problem Solving, Operating Systems, Information Systems/Network Security, and Teamwork.Category rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three quality level categories, (i.e., A = Superior, B = Highly Qualified, C= Qualified) depending on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, and training related to this position. Your rating may be lowered if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application. Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category. Referral:* If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview (telephonic and/or in person at the discretion of the Selecting Official in accordance with hiring polices). We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must receive a score of category B or better to be rated as “well qualified" to receive special selection priority.
*This is a 12 month open continuous announcement that will be used to fill positions IT-Wide throughout the next 12 months. We are projecting approximately 25 vacancies may be filled during the life of this register. Contingent upon funding and space requirements, one or more vacancies may be filled in the individual PODs listed in this announcement . It is anticipated that there will be a significant interest in the announcement. As a result, the announcement will have a cut-off date of 03/22/2018 for initial applicant consideration. This announcement may be closed early if sufficient applicants apply to fill the anticipated vacancies. Eligible applicants in the highest category who apply by the initial cut-off date will be considered first . If additional vacancies exist, applicants who applied after the initial cut-date who place in the highest category will be considered next.* To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
A complete application includes 1. A resume, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you will not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
All applicants are required to submit a resume either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional). To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your resume. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view Resume Tips**
VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION:If you are claiming veterans’ preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 4 copy), or other official documentation from a branch of the Armed Forces or the Department of Veterans Affairs showing dates of service and type of discharge. Ten-point preference eligibles must also submit an Application for 10-point Veteran Preference, SF-15, along with the required documentation listed on the back of the SF-15 form. For more information on veterans' preference view FedsHireVets. *Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) DOCUMENTATION:If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee, click CTAP/ICTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents. IRS CTAP eligibles can apply for jobs both within and outside the commuting area.*
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on the announcement's closing date. **Treasury believes in a working environment that supports inclusion; please view our reasonable accommodation policies and procedures at http://www.jobs.irs.gov/midcareer/reasonable-accommodation.html. We will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis; please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process. If you are an applicant with a disability, you may contact the Deborah Smith at Deborah.L.Smith2@irs.gov IRS Disability Employment Program Coordinator about special appointment authorities for persons with disabilities, in addition to applying for this job announcement.
- To begin,either click the “Create a New Account” button and follow the prompts to register or if you previously registered, click the "Apply Online" button and follow the prompts.
- You will be re-directed to Treasury’s CareerConnector system to complete your application process; answer the online questions, and submit all required documents. (To submit supporting documents, click one of the available options; Upload; Fax; or Reuse existing documents. To protect your privacy, we suggest you first remove your SSN). Also, go to “My Account” to view and update your information, as necessary.
- To complete, you must click the “Submit Application” button located at the bottom of the “Application Review” page.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the* more information* link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application and the documentation received.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete. *If you are experiencing system issues with your application, please contact the CareerConnector Help Desk at *email@example.com and/or the USAJOBS Help Desk.
Agency contact information
INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE 1040 Waverly Ave. Holtsvile, New York United States
Learn more about this agency
You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS “My Account” tab and clicking on “Application Status.” For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on “more information.”
Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an email address that is inaccurate or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam-blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/493762500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 03/13/2018 to 03/13/2019
Salary: $87,252 to $129,906 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 13
Work schedule: Full-Time - FULL TIME/PERMANENT
Appointment type: Permanent - CAREER/CAREER CONDITIONAL